Sunday, April 08, 2007

Kielbasa's Guide to Dining Alone

There are a lot of people out there who are afraid of dining alone. They might have it in them to run to Baja Fresh for lunch, but if you're talking about a real meal out they will shy away. I don't relate to that feeling. I embrace dining solo, and I'm here to help you do the same.

Easter Sunday, nothing in the fridge, too lazy to run to TJ's, I instead scrolled through the mental Rolodex of places in the neighborhood. I almost ordered in from Louise's; I very nearly walked over to Mexico City; but then I remembered I'd been dying to try Malo's on Sunset, the semi-new Mexican place, and tonight was the perfect night to do it. A courtesy call to my boyfriend confirmed what I'd already suspected: he couldn't come. Which was A-OK... more chips and salsa for me!

Get There Early
I'm not here to tell you what time to eat, but if you're already self-conscious you should stay away from peak hours. Nothing is more awkward that talking to the hostess with couples and parties of six all around you waiting to be seated. Awkwardness can be avoided if food is served at the bar, where you can belly up with all the other singles.

Bring a Book
It doesn't have to be something you're that into. Whatever you read will have to be re-read later anyway. It's more of a prop for when you get bored of people-watching or munching on chips/bread/appetizer. A magazine is great too. If all else fails, pick a place with a TV (inevitably playing a channel with some I-could-care-less sports event).

Just Go For It
Order whatever you want. Do it. Get a drink and an appetizer, get only dessert. Get something on the side. You have no one to please or accommodate. How often does that happen?!

Savor
Take your time. Order another margarita. Read more of your book. It's a date with yourself, and you know what Cybill Shepard would say back in the day. That's right. "You're worth it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've dined alone many, many times. I feel totally comfortable doing so, but I have noticed I'll leave a good amount of food behind on my plate. Why? For some reason I feel if my plate is empty the waiter or waitress will judge me... geez, she's alone and she eats a ton. Stupid, I know, but I do it.