Monday, November 20, 2006

"We Didn't Need Dialogue. We Had FACES!"

Oh, fair blog readers, forgive my neglect on this busy, busy Monday. It seems that today there was real work to be done at the place where I collect a paycheck. Not the usual work that involves the phone or internet, my buttery charm with customer service reps, or my vast stores of trivial knowledge. This was the kind of work that required my perfectionist, anal-retentive folding skills. As in, shirt folding. As in, retail skills. Like Mr. Dynamite, I have alllllll kinds of skills.

I don't think I've been on my feet that many hours since my waitressing days, and those are days I'd just as soon forget. Maybe I needed that. Maybe I'd slipped into tipping in the 20% range, forgetting just how hard it is to serve some ungrateful snot her supper. I needed a day like this to bring me back to my roots, to looking a waitress in the eye when I ordered, and tipping a touch more generously than necessary, and admiring her shapely legs as she walked away.

The saving grace today was getting to watch TV while folding the endless boxes of shirts. First we watch the inimitable Kathy Griffin do her stand-up on B
ravo. Good God, I love that woman. I mean, if I were famous I'd be scared shitless of meeting her and having her later make fun of my... everything. But luckily I'm not, and I get to revel in her acute observations on everyone from Anna Nicole to Little Richard to Sharon Stone. AND, she's from Chicago, which makes her that much better.

Next, we watched Sunset Boulevard. It was my first time seeing it. I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself. I AM. Because that it one outstanding movie. I would have given my right arm, or my life, to play Norma Desmond. Gloria Swanson is heaven. I love when she does the bug eyes. On my next sick day I am for sure renting it and memorizing all her lines and then performing them on my video camera alone in my living room. That's totally normal to do, right?

Looks like you'll get the story I was going to tell you today TOMORROW. So DO come back, won't you? It's about my wild and crazy Saturday night.

Today's Coffee Beverage: I am so damn tired, I can't even remember. It feels like years ago. I remember there was tea and milk all mixed together.

No comments: